Wednesday, April 02, 2008

ESPNEWS HD Makes Its DIRECTV Debut

I flipped on the DIRECTV this morning with my cereal and coffee, as I often do, and was treated to a new channel: ESPNEWS HD. I had been expecting it but was happy nonetheless to welcome it into my home like an old friend. You see, I hadn't watched ESPNEWS much in the last few years that I've been an HD-aholic because ESPNEWS in standard-def just doesn't measure up with the likes of SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight over on the patriarch ESPN HD.

ESPNEWS is not just an HD simulcast of the standard ESPNEWS channel -- they've reworked it so that there's a bar at the top showing which sport is being discussed and which is on deck; there's the standard scroll bar at the bottom with the latest news; and the coolest new feature is the left quarter of the screen, where enhanced box scores are shown with player stats and pictures. It's a great addition to the standard sports broadcast and although it does have the effect of shrinking the actual broadcast picture, it's worth it considering the level of information provided.

ESPNEWS HD is on channel 207. Disney Channel HD and Toon Disney HD also debuted this morning on channels 290 and 292, respectively. ABC Family HD is coming next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the HD format of ESPNews is awesome...

Anonymous said...

I've read some of your comments and realized you've had Time Warner Cable in the past and now it seems as if you have DirectTV. I'm curious to know if you feel that the picture quality is any different. I'm just so tired of TWC here in SD with it's so few HD channels in comparison to DTV. I'm seriously considering switching even if I have to put up some money for the equipment.

Mark Kersey said...

anonymous:

I've got both Time Warner and DirecTV right now and I think the picture quality is about the same. The big problem with switching to DirecTV, DISH or AT&T U-verse is that you can't get any of the Padres games because Cox owns Channel 4 and licenses it to Time Warner but not satellite or AT&T. Even getting the MLB Extra Innings package won't help because the Pads games are blacked out locally on that package. IMHO, satellite penetration in San Diego would be higher (it's among the lowest in the country) were it not for the Padres issue.