Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Panasonic to Debut 58-Inch Plasma in June

Panasonic announced plans today to release a pair of 58-inch plasma displays early this summer, both of which offer 1366x768 resolution and 10,000:1 contrast ratio. The company says that the 58-inchers are designed to complement Panasonic's previously announced 65-inch 1080p model that will be released soon and its already-available 50-inch display.

These two plasmas feature a technology Panasonic is calling EZ-Sync that will allow for single remote and one-button control of the entire home theater system. The company says that it differs from a universal remote in that one button will turn on the entire system and select the right inputs and settings for the DVD player. (Note to the PR guys at Panasonic: my Orion universal remote already does this.)

The new TH-58PX600U and TH-58PX60U models also offer an SD Memory Card slot, which is a useful feature.

To meet rising demand for plasmas, Panasonic is adding a fourth panel factory that will go online in 2007 in Amagasaki, Japan.

The TH-58PX600U, which includes a digital tuner and CableCARD slot, will retail for $5,999.95 while the TH-58PX60U will list for $5,499.95 when they are both released this summer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great!

Any idea of the overall size of this thing....I was just about to buy a 50" Panny Plasma but now I'll have to hold off. If its more than 4 feet wide though I'm out of luck!!

Mark Kersey said...

I don't but will see what I can find out.

Anonymous said...

Ok....I found the size of the TH58PX600U...

It is 57.2" W x 36.1" H x 5.4" D.....This is directly from Panasonic Technical Asst.

I'll make room for this sucker!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Any idea on the cost of the 65" 1080p?

Mark Kersey said...

No, but I'll post when it's released.

Anonymous said...

I am considering a JVC 61" LCOS instead of the Panny 58" although I do like the Panny picture. It is simply not competitive in pricing.