Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sony's Cheaper PS3 to Debut in 2 Weeks

Sony's newly-announced 40GB PlayStation 3 will hit store shelves on Nov. 2 at a price point of $400 in an effort by the electronics giant to better compete with the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox. More from Reuters. I don't usually spend too much time analyzing video game platform developments, but this one is somewhat significant because the PS3 includes a Blu-ray disc player and at $400, it's basically the cheapest BDR player you can buy. In fact, the bulk of the Blu-ray players that have been sold so far have been PS3's.

The other reason this news interests me is that I'm currently deciding which of these gaming consoles to buy. The Wii is the cheapest of the three at $249 but it isn't high-def. As any of you who have played the Wii know, the attraction with it is the interactivity, particularly with the Wii Sports games (baseball, tennis, bowling, etc.). The graphics clearly aren't as good as those on the PS3 or Xbox but the Wii offers more than just the standard couch-potato gaming experience.

So I'd say at this point I'm leaning towards the Wii since I'm more interested in swinging a virtual baseball bat than I am in the stunning HD graphics of, say, Spider Man 3. I'll let you all know what I end up with...in the meantime, let me know what thoughts you have on the three options.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The way you choose a console is by the game selection. There are more "casual" games for the Wii, and there are more "hard core" games for the XBox360/PS3. My opinion is the Wii is an obvious purchase, and then pick up an HD capable system later (meaning, don't choose between the 3 systems. Get the Wii and choose between the other two). The difficult choice is deciding between the 360 or the PS3. My question for you is how is the PS3 as a BlueRay player? The current downside of the PS3 is its lack of good titles. I don't see anything compelling on the XBox 360 side either (including Halo 3 *yawn*. Been there, done that)