Thursday, September 22, 2005

New Verizon TV Service Offers 22 HD Channels

I'm still trying to get my hands on an actual channel lineup, but Multichannel News reports that Verizon's new FiOS fiber-to-the-home video offering features 22 HD channels. The service launched today in Keller, Texas (a Ft. Worth suburb) and will be rolled out to six markets by the end of the year. Based on published reports, here's my stab at what Verizon's HD channels are:

8 local broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc.)
8 premium channels (HBO East/West HD, Cinemax East/West HD, Showtime East/West HD, Starz East/West HD)
6 variety/sports channels (Discovery HD Theater, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, NFL Network HD, TNT HD, Universal HD)

I'm not positive that Showtime is included in that count since Verizon has yet to strike a carriage deal with Viacom for its various channels. So it's possible that instead of Showtime East/West, there are a couple of adult premium channels.

I haven't seen any reports of Verizon inking a deal with Mark Cuban's HDNet, but I'll update this if I've missed something. Apologies for the speculation on my part, but 22 HD channels is more than anyone else offers and is worthy of a writeup here.

No comments: