Tuesday, April 03, 2007

College Hoops Title Game a Letdown in HD

I don't know whether to blame CBS or my local cable provider Time Warner, but last night's college basketball championship game between Florida and Ohio State was one of the worst HD broadcasts I've seen in a long time -- and not just because I'm a Buckeyes fan. The picture pixelated more times than I could count, with the audio still coming through okay but the video becoming snowy and then freezing up altogether for several seconds at a time.

Normally I'd chalk something like this up to bad timing for it to occur during a major event like this, but I read reports of similar complaints from viewers in other parts of the country following Saturday's two Final Four matchups -- also on CBS.

In addition, another point that leads me to believe this was a CBS rather than a Time Warner Cable problem was the fact that "Prison Break," which came on FOX during the second half of the basketball game, exhibited no such problems. One would think that CBS, which often claims to be the leader among the broadcast networks in HD content, would have this stuff figured out by now.

No comments: